Winter, wetsuit!

Snowboards Surfboards Dirtboards if its about boards its in here.

Winter, wetsuit!

Postby Plank » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:20 pm

been wearing 3/4 with a thermal vest,hood, boot s and gloves. not cold apart from the wind chill but getting colder now. thinkg about cuntting my old 5mm down to more body sized shortie to wear ove or under the 3/4 for some excellent insulation. making do til i get one of the slips of sheepy goodness.
R4
http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/det ... TS_LANDING
Plank
anorak alert

Re: Winter, wetsuit!

Postby Ben » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:32 pm

Additional layers imo often do n't works because they create cavities for water to collect in, I would think twice.
tip toeing through the tulips

http://lyricalwaxing.wordpress.com/
Ben
I need a LIFE!

Postby bertslide » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:40 am

I use a 2mm neoprene rash vest under a 3mm suit which keeps me a lot warmer.
I also use a 2 layer wetsuit for diving which works very well also, sometimes better than a dry suit.
cheers

It's fun fun fun fun fun til the pigs come round
bertslide
SHOOT ME!

Postby Plank » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:57 pm

bertslide wrote:I use a 2mm neoprene rash vest under a 3mm suit which keeps me a lot warmer.
I also use a 2 layer wetsuit for diving which works very well also, sometimes better than a dry suit.

might just stick with the 3/4 and rash vest until the cash has piled for a new suit. my old 5 mm suit was colder than the 3/4 oneil i'm wearing now. can always try the cut down suit idea sea what on really really cold days. windchill is the bastard never felt cold in the water.

proberbly said this before but i'm never out for longer than an hour at a time due to testing/feeding. so we shall see how it goes. the bodysuit might be ideal for carrying some of the shuff i need for my condition. i'm working on a method to test blood glucose whilst in the water. it'll save me loads of energy & time.
Plank
anorak alert

Postby Ian the Blue » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:30 pm

Plank wrote:
bertslide wrote:I use a 2mm neoprene rash vest under a 3mm suit which keeps me a lot warmer.

might just stick with the 3/4 and rash vest until the cash has piled for a new suit. my old 5 mm suit was colder than the 3/4 oneil i'm wearing now. can always try the cut down suit idea sea what on really really cold days. windchill is the bastard never felt cold in the water.

proberbly said this before but i'm never out for longer than an hour at a time due to testing/feeding. so we shall see how it goes. the bodysuit might be ideal for carrying some of the shuff i need for my condition. i'm working on a method to test blood glucose whilst in the water. it'll save me loads of energy & time.

was in an old 5mm last week at cayton and as you say it wasn't the water temp that was the problem it was the windchill,bloody freezing after an hour an a half.
i'd try another rash vest and take a back pack with a flask and your stuff..
Ian the Blue
Snow White

Postby Plank » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:10 pm

Ian the Blue wrote:
Plank wrote:

was in an old 5mm last week at cayton and as you say it wasn't the water temp that was the problem it was the windchill,bloody freezing after an hour an a half.
i'd try another rash vest and take a back pack with a flask and your stuff..

yeah always have a flask, emergency shelter and a one of the last Sheffield built Rab summat sleeping bags designed for the arctic :lol: hypothermia is bad.

like the patatogia suit only being 4mm but be able to stand some low C's and wind and already make quality equipment.

can you get thermal rash vest for the legs. thick tights? should get a longsleeve too.

just need a ride :wink: :)
Plank
anorak alert

Postby Plank » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:34 pm

got wet recently Ian The Blue, me old mucka?
Plank
anorak alert

Postby Ian the Blue » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:39 pm

Not as much as I wanted.....past two have made up for it...last Sunday was a double session at scanty,mellow longboard stuff and a few weeks before a spot I,ve been keepin an eye on was workin :D

U?....the Sheffield crew get out much?
Ian the Blue
Snow White

Postby Plank » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:15 pm

last week at cayton travelled with Paul. heavy wind and ended up closed out. first time in 5 years and just playing in the whitewater really, not lost my confidence in the water though and got a few rides.

hoping the sheffield crew will be out more often, the logistics of life :roll:

I'll be on the train up to Saltburn if some god-like if no rides are available. i'd rather pay for a tank of fuel :)

need as much time in the water as possible to make up for those years.
Plank
anorak alert

Return to Dirt/Snowboards & Other Boardsports