Snowboarding

Snowboards Surfboards Dirtboards if its about boards its in here.

Snowboarding

Postby Nathan » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:45 am

Right, what little summer we have had has gone and my mind always turns to snowboarding when september comes. Anyone got any exciting plans for this winter (or a decent chalet somewhere waiting to be used lol!)
Nathan
Geek
 
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:15 am
Location: Maidstone

Re: Snowboarding

Postby Alf » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:13 pm

not much with a nipper on the way although I have a end of season blast planned...in about seven month's time...so loads more skating for me
Gnarled not Gnarley
User avatar
Alf
nothing better to do
 
Posts: 648
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:06 pm
Location: Baaaath

Re: Snowboarding

Postby AliFish » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:27 pm

ill probally toddle off to grindelwald for xmas, having a swiss buddy makes accomodation good at half the price.
........I Like my sugar with Coffee & Cream.........
Image
......To sweet to be nice, To nice to be mean.......
AliFish
skate skate skate
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:41 pm
Location: Bispham N.W.

Re: Snowboarding

Postby Nathan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:29 am

Think we ought to organise a MAS snow & skate day. A morning boarding at Hemel indoor snow slope then next door for an afternoons skate at XC!
Nathan
Geek
 
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:15 am
Location: Maidstone

Re: Snowboarding

Postby xman2001 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:47 pm

yes it's the time of year to start dreaming... took the family to LAAX this Easter so probably not abroad this year, we had new snow most days and the place was empty no queues at all.. highlight was skiing with my 10 year on her first black run on 50cm of fresh pow. Lift tickets thrown in with apartment too was icing on the cake. This summer had a few days break from camping in an apartment in La Tania 3 valleys. No skatepark but did see a long boarder doing 30+mph on the resort approach road completely obviously to the traffic :D never visited the 3 valleys in Winter due to percieved costs and snobbishness - new build large chalets fetch 10m euro. It did look absolutely huge and the apartment we stayed in would be relative cheap even in the school hols, just need to get my head around a 2000 mile round trip...
xman2001
I got new wheels
 
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:15 am

Re: Snowboarding

Postby AliFish » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:37 pm

xman2001 wrote:yes it's the time of year to start dreaming... took the family to LAAX this Easter so probably not abroad this year, we had new snow most days and the place was empty no queues at all.. highlight was skiing with my 10 year on her first black run on 50cm of fresh pow. Lift tickets thrown in with apartment too was icing on the cake. This summer had a few days break from camping in an apartment in La Tania 3 valleys. No skatepark but did see a long boarder doing 30+mph on the resort approach road completely obviously to the traffic :D never visited the 3 valleys in Winter due to percieved costs and snobbishness - new build large chalets fetch 10m euro. It did look absolutely huge and the apartment we stayed in would be relative cheap even in the school hols, just need to get my head around a 2000 mile round trip...



huh ! le trois valley have been my cheapest snowboarding holidays, staying at meribel 6 years on the trott. had a few lunches at la tania. very nice and secluded there. to see this place in summer is my dream.
........I Like my sugar with Coffee & Cream.........
Image
......To sweet to be nice, To nice to be mean.......
AliFish
skate skate skate
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:41 pm
Location: Bispham N.W.

Re: Snowboarding

Postby xman2001 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:52 pm

I thought Meribel had a pricey rep? First time in the Alps in the summer, I think we lucked out with the weather but it looked absolutely stunning, very quite though and the sports too extreme for a youngish family but maybe not if you are really into mountain biking. Even the starter level Via Ferrata (the influence for Go Ape) looked way too frightening to us :oops: Defintely worth passing through if you are camping / travelling in France and excellent value accommodation.
xman2001
I got new wheels
 
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:15 am

Re: Snowboarding

Postby Nathan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:48 am

You can get good deals in the three valleys, I've been 10+ times. Courchevel 1850 tends to be dearest, followed by meribel but good cheap accomodation can be found and as long as you don't go out drinking every night its ok - I was most put out when I bought 4 pints and had to hand over £32!! The thing is, ski jackets have an enormous quantity of pockets suitable for dumpy beer bottles so you can have that seemingly neverending pint in the pub :D

I was fortunate enough to stay at my friends chalet near megeve about 6 weeks ago - the mountains are stunning in the summer and it gave me a reality check to whether I really wan't to be in this country.

Had a chat with a few of the local skaters, probably 3 or 4 of us up for the hemel snow/skate thing maybe early october if anyone fancies it?
Nathan
Geek
 
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:15 am
Location: Maidstone

Re: Snowboarding

Postby xman2001 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:21 am

Cheers for the tips - yes priorites change when taking the family onto the slopes what was once semi-affordable becomes impossible when x4 and adding everyones gear and tuition. Think we spent the whole week at LAAX without buying a single drink out...then again night life was probably non existent after everyones finished apres ski...

would be up but it's too far for me, unless it was Chill Factor(e) and Rampcity
xman2001
I got new wheels
 
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:15 am

Re: Snowboarding

Postby chuffedankles » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:02 pm

I'm hoping to get away this year, but it's just getting too expensive no matter how it's done. I could sofa hop, but then it defeats the purpose because I'm never rested enough to ride! Seeing as its close to a grand I may just go back to California and then have a day up at Snow Summit!

Nathan wrote:Think we ought to organise a MAS snow & skate day. A morning boarding at Hemel indoor snow slope then next door for an afternoons skate at XC!


Sounds like a cracking idea. They have a kicker and a box out during the day on Thursday's, but I could ask a mate who works there.
User avatar
chuffedankles
I got new wheels
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:43 pm
Location: Hackney, London

Re: Snowboarding

Postby Alf » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:15 pm

damn that would be good..
Gnarled not Gnarley
User avatar
Alf
nothing better to do
 
Posts: 648
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:06 pm
Location: Baaaath

Re: Snowboarding

Postby chuffedankles » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:15 pm

Picked up a good deal to La Tania, 3valleys: £800 all in for me and wife. Self catered too, so more flexible with how we spend our time. Good tip about the beers, cos £32 for 4 pints of fizzy tasteless crap is not cool. Always have a hip-flask with me too. Snow looks epic though, so I'll be favouring early nights and early mornings in search of untracked pow!
User avatar
chuffedankles
I got new wheels
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:43 pm
Location: Hackney, London

Re: Snowboarding

Postby Twellsy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:42 am

La tania is fantastic...I've stayed there twice now...drove there twice too...!

bloody expencive for a family though...but we aree going at xmas...Brides Le Bains.....half board so saves a bit on meals,.....long lift up, but fuck me its good up the top!

T
It's not where you skate, it's who you skate with.
User avatar
Twellsy
anorak alert
 
Posts: 3702
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:47 am
Location: a long way away

Re: Snowboarding

Postby Twellsy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:47 am

Sure beats sitting round relatives houses talking bollocks and eating too much...me n the ,issus went to austria last xmas...beautiful

xmas dinner was mixed grill & choccy moose

:D
It's not where you skate, it's who you skate with.
User avatar
Twellsy
anorak alert
 
Posts: 3702
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:47 am
Location: a long way away

Re: Snowboarding

Postby RussH » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:06 pm

Off to Kaunertal on Friday for Xmas. Then Saint Foy in February.
So many boards, so little time.
RussH
I skateboard
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:05 pm

Re: Snowboarding

Postby Alf » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm

st foy is a little gem
Gnarled not Gnarley
User avatar
Alf
nothing better to do
 
Posts: 648
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:06 pm
Location: Baaaath

Re: Snowboarding

Postby 227angrydonkeys » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:50 pm

Twellsy wrote:La tania is fantastic...I've stayed there twice now...drove there twice too...!

bloody expencive for a family though...but we aree going at xmas...Brides Le Bains.....half board so saves a bit on meals,.....long lift up, but fuck me its good up the top!

T


Amen to that. I did the season there last year and it was a great place to live, a little cliquey but i like how small it is and the tree runs back into it are awesome!
first rule of skate club: No one talks about skate club.
http://www.minus-nine.co.uk Used and new snowboards.
User avatar
227angrydonkeys
I got new wheels
 
Posts: 465
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: horsham

Re: Snowboarding

Postby chuffedankles » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:50 pm

227angrydonkeys wrote:
Twellsy wrote:La tania is fantastic...I've stayed there twice now...drove there twice too...!

bloody expencive for a family though...but we aree going at xmas...Brides Le Bains.....half board so saves a bit on meals,.....long lift up, but fuck me its good up the top!

T


Amen to that. I did the season there last year and it was a great place to live, a little cliquey but i like how small it is and the tree runs back into it are awesome!


Had a great week. Access to Meribel and VT was closed off because of the amount of unstable snow, but found plenty of stuff to ride. Wife and I got assumed as seasonaires and got the discounts all week! As you said, small and cliquey, but great terrain!
User avatar
chuffedankles
I got new wheels
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:43 pm
Location: Hackney, London


Return to Dirt/Snowboards & Other Boardsports

cron