First snow of the season

Snowboards Surfboards Dirtboards if its about boards its in here.

First snow of the season

Postby xman2001 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:19 pm

Managed to get the first snow of my season up at the Lake District Ski Club last Sunday - not really cold enough yet with freeze thaw conditions at the peaks making for some interesting conditions, nothing like firm snow (ice) to start the season, but it softened up during the day. Still a good day out in the mountains nice weather, good visibilty and low wind. Great being back on the maountain 8) makes the Chill Factor(e) feel like a mini ramp
Last year the club ran the tow for 60 days, not sure if we had rain or snow last night's storm, really needs to drop a few degrees but I will be heading back up when it's rideable.
If anyone on MAS in the NW wants to try the club check out the website and PM me if you want someone to go up with, however it's not the place for beginners and you need to be reasonably fit to hike up.
xman2001
I got new wheels

Re: First snow of the season

Postby xman2001 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:48 pm

Had a great day snowboarding in the Lake District yesterday, there's a good solid 1m plus of hard base everywhere that's going to last whatever the weather throws for the rest of the season. Get up there after this weeks storms for a real blast :@~ lets hope it clears for the weekend
xman2001
I got new wheels

Postby Twellsy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:11 am

Hi, where about's is this?....I'm in Southport, have heard of Yad Moss, but not the Lake District ? been a memebr of chill factore for a few years, just to keep the feeling going...but if there's a decent enough place fairly close by.....hmmmm?
It's not where you skate, it's who you skate with.
Twellsy
anorak alert

Postby xman2001 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:04 pm

Best place to start is here
http://www.ldscsnowski.co.uk/

It's at the top of Raise a 900m peak next to Helvellyn, access is on foot from a carpark at the YHA Glenridding on the shore of Ullswater, so maybe 2 hours drive from Southport. It's a fairly steep hike for an hour and a bit. But at the top there's a warm members hut where you can stash your gear on days when the snowline is too high for the ride home. It has a 350m drag lift that services lots of interesting terrain. It all depends on snow conditions as its all off piste with no piste-bashing, go up after a big dump and you'll have a blast although nice weather and great snow rarely collide, so best if you don't mind riding in tough conditions. It kills Yad Moss in terms of days open per year and allround radness, it can be cold, windy and icy but I always return like I've had a proper day in the mountains

edit- don't want to post everytime I go up but this Sunday afternoon was awesome - there's tons of the white stuff up there, all nice soft too, plenty of fresh high speed lines to be had, total blast :D
xman2001
I got new wheels

Postby Andy42g » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:59 pm

... still waiting impatiently for snow in Scotland this season. Board waxed.
Tons of the stuff last year and (in between the storms!) we got some fab weekenders in right up to and including an amazing Easter at Glencoe.
Must try that tow at Raise - will be aiming to get there this season.
Andy42g
skate skate skate

Postby Andy42g » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:31 pm

Got out on the board in Scotland at the weekend. Day at Aviemore which was rubbish as hardly any of the infrastructure was open and therefore just a few runs. with lots of people on them. Shite. And they charged full price for the tickets which was also shite.
Then two days at Glencoe which was miles better. Monday was excellent. Not all the runs in condition but easily enough to have a good go at, and most of their lifts were working too. Glencoe once again keeping decent snow when Nevis Range had very little apparently. It was all a bit soft on Tuesday after the temperature rose 10 degrees overnight but hey ho - that's Scotland for you.
I did meet (buddied up on a tow with at random) and do a couple of runs with a MAS chap from Newquay. And I've forgotten your name, but great to chat and hope the new bowl you are designing turns out well!
Andy42g
skate skate skate

Postby xman2001 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:47 pm

Keeping an eye out on those Scottish webcams last two yaers were a blast, were you the lad up on Raise last week when it was like sledging conditions (soft powder, no base and grass)? he mentioned he was going up to check out Scotland the next day....
Still yet to do a proper day this season up on Raise so far two attempts, well the first was jinxed by setting off late with 10 year old in tow, by the time we got up there it was time to come home, cracking view though...at least I didn't spend a fortune like my mate taking my family off to France for Christmas to have limited runs followed by a 48 hour delay due to huge dump on transit day...
xman2001
I got new wheels

Postby Andy42g » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:36 pm

Nah - not me at Raise as I've never been there for the snow.
Andy42g
skate skate skate

Postby xman2001 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:35 pm

another great day on Raise this weekend, blue skies no wind and crisp alpine snow cover. The club is attracting new people every day mainly due to social media, just wanted to say if you are coming up for the first make sure you've got an idea where you are going you can't go far wrong with the OS map and compass. Gave a father and son snowboarders a lift from the village to the carpark (only signed up members can park) they set off whilst I was getting my gear on, only to see them later walking in the wrong direction towards Hellveywn, I did shout but they were too far away, a bit of a bumer for them after driving up from Manchester, luckily the weather was good as you don't want to add the the Mountain Rescue stats...
xman2001
I got new wheels

Postby Andy42g » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:18 pm

Scotland's been in fabulous nick for a couple of weeks now. We are off up there (aviemore) Sunday - likely just in time for it to crap up. :roll:
Andy42g
skate skate skate

Postby xman2001 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:03 am

let us know how it went, I've been looking at the web cams and Aviemore sounds great, would love to take the family especially as they won't hike up in the Lakes with me...
xman2001
I got new wheels

Return to Dirt/Snowboards & Other Boardsports