Shaping a new surfboard

Snowboards Surfboards Dirtboards if its about boards its in here.

Shaping a new surfboard

Postby Jimmycakes401 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:21 am

Figured I'd share a few pics if anyone out there is into surfing. Looking forward to glassing it tomorrow. ImageImageImageImageImage
Current pipe setup: Welcome Sloth Hammer Head Deck, Spitfire Formula 4 58mm 99a, Hollow Indi trucks, soft bones bushins, Redz bearings
Jimmycakes401
nothing better to do

Re: Shaping a new surfboard

Postby wavesnwheels » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:21 am

Looks like a speed machine shaped for the green room, love the big swallow tail. Very nice.
wavesnwheels
I skateboard

Postby Jimmycakes401 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:23 pm

wavesnwheels wrote:Looks like a speed machine shaped for the green room, love the big swallow tail. Very nice.

Thanks man. Yeah, this board should be able to handle a few different situations. Speed is important around here and so in buoyancy and planing. It's 6'8" x 2.75 x 21.4
It's foiled quite a bit so it looks considerably thinner. Plus I've removed a lot of foam from the tail and nose and kept the brunt of float in the chest area. I have a 5'8" split tail quad a made a few months ago that really flies, but I need a bit more wave for it. This one should get me into some smaller surf as well as bigger stuff.
Current pipe setup: Welcome Sloth Hammer Head Deck, Spitfire Formula 4 58mm 99a, Hollow Indi trucks, soft bones bushins, Redz bearings
Jimmycakes401
nothing better to do

Postby Jimmycakes401 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:24 pm

Glassed the bottom and it's just about ready to flip.

Jimmycakes401
nothing better to do

Postby irishlostboy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:18 pm

Those rails look really hard. I like softer rails up from the tail so I can skate it a bit more, but that's just my style. This yoke will be a speed machine for its length. Nice one.
irishlostboy
I got new wheels

Postby Jimmycakes401 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:21 pm

Yeah, the rails are turned down quite a bit with a little tuck underneath. The nose has a very slight hull into a single and a deep double.
Jimmycakes401
nothing better to do

Postby Jimmycakes401 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:21 pm

Deck patch

Jimmycakes401
nothing better to do

Postby Jimmycakes401 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:26 pm

This thing rides like a skateboard.
Jimmycakes401
nothing better to do

Postby wavesnwheels » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:54 pm

Jimmycakes401 wrote:
wavesnwheels wrote:Looks like a speed machine shaped for the green room, love the big swallow tail. Very nice.

Thanks man. Yeah, this board should be able to handle a few different situations. Speed is important around here and so in buoyancy and planing. It's 6'8" x 2.75 x 21.4
It's foiled quite a bit so it looks considerably thinner. Plus I've removed a lot of foam from the tail and nose and kept the brunt of float in the chest area. I have a 5'8" split tail quad a made a few months ago that really flies, but I need a bit more wave for it. This one should get me into some smaller surf as well as bigger stuff.

I was wondering if you had fast barrels there :D , board looks a lot slimmer in the pics, I was thinking 18.5 or something..... Looks like it should be a lot of fun.
wavesnwheels
I skateboard

Postby Ben » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:56 pm

Thats an unusual craft you have built. Can you give some feedback about how it performs? I have often wondered about fish shapes over the 6' mark. It will certainly be quick but how do you think it will turn? It may work better with twin keels rather than quads.What is the bottom curve configuration? Lots of questions and observations but well done and good luck with the testing. Does NY get many summer waves?

Nice shaping room.
tip toeing through the tulips

http://lyricalwaxing.wordpress.com/
Ben
I need a LIFE!

Postby Jimmycakes401 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:54 am

I assume NY is similar to RI. Usually small but towards the end of summer and hurricane swell things get big and punchy. I try and stick to knee to just over head. A little bigger if it's clean. But often when it gets big here it's a huge foaming mess with a break that moves around. Mostly points and lots of boulders.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Jimmycakes401
nothing better to do

Postby irishlostboy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:54 am

Come to northwest of Ireland. We got waves that will scare the pants off you. They sure scare me.
irishlostboy
I got new wheels

Postby Jimmycakes401 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:31 am

I'd love to. Ha!

Jimmycakes401
nothing better to do

Postby mjlally » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:28 pm

Ben wrote:Thats an unusual craft you have built. Can you give some feedback about how it performs? I have often wondered about fish shapes over the 6' mark. It will certainly be quick but how do you think it will turn? It may work better with twin keels rather than quads.What is the bottom curve configuration? Lots of questions and observations but well done and good luck with the testing. Does NY get many summer waves?

Nice shaping room.

I was wondering about the length myself. I'm 6 ft and weigh 196 lbs (14 stone). With thruster shapes I found 6'6" and fairly wide worked ok on small weak surf, but with fish shapes I can surf better in the same weak conditions or even weaker, on boards as short as 5'9" with similar width and thickness to your board.

The board looks lovely.
mjlally
am I a skate geek

Postby mjlally » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:31 pm

irishlostboy wrote:Come to northwest of Ireland. We got waves that will scare the pants off you. They sure scare me.

I might manage the Intercounties this year, not looking like I'm getting over during the summer at the moment. I'll be looking for small to medium waves though, so it will be Rossnowlagh if Bundoran looks big and gnarly. Paddling fitness not as good as it could be at the moment and I haven't had a surf in ages.
mjlally
am I a skate geek

Postby Jimmycakes401 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:11 pm

The other split tail I posted a pic of is 5'8". Similar specs but a different tail and fuller rails. Works okay in smaller weaker waves. I dragged out the floatation in this one to see how it rides and made it a bit more traditional in terms of outline. I know a lot of guys that ride long fish around here and they have a great time on them. Sort of the best of both worlds.

Jimmycakes401
nothing better to do

Postby Ben » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:30 pm

Any feedback on the long fish yet? I'm keen to hear from you because I have made a decision to do one more winter shortboarding. Next spring I want to change tack and surf something with more volume but the question is what? Longboarding does not appeal so I will have to go for a mid length that in the right conditions can be surfed on rail and off the tail.

mini mal, big fish, magic carpet, egg there is lots out there

Ben
I need a LIFE!

Postby Jimmycakes401 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:01 am

Not yet. I had add one deadlines to take care of plus it's been summer time flatness. However, there's waves in the forcast on Friday Saturday so I'll probably feverishly sand out the tail and polish it tomorrow. Lol

Jimmycakes401
nothing better to do

Postby Ben » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:41 pm

Come on Jimmy, I see it has been pumping on your side of the pond recently.

Ben
I need a LIFE!

Postby Jimmycakes401 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:27 pm

Hahaha!!! You are right sure! I didn't get out on any of the big days. We had a flat summer so everyone and their mom was I'm the water. I did get the fish out for one day. A bit mushy, waist to head high. Two gentle paddles and I was on my way first go. Felt pretty good. Not much of a face but I got a few nice arching turns in here and their. I need to get another set of fins to try. It was surprisingly not too loose.

I'm keeping my eye on this week. I tried last week on a weekday and the beach was bonkers. Wall to wall kooks and no parking. I'll be greedily hiding under a rock waiting for the cold weather to set in. Winter swell is coming.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Jimmycakes401
nothing better to do

Postby Jimmycakes401 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:45 am

Took the fish out today in some chest to head high waves and it was a BLAST. Fast down the line with big sweeping turns. If I had a little steeper face I could have gotten away with a few cut backs. But they tended to stall me out a bit. It's much more nimble than I expected for its length. It chased down sections like a champ. Can't wait for more.

Jimmycakes401
nothing better to do

Postby Jimmycakes401 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:22 pm

Another really good session on the purple fish today. It out runs sections like a beast. A few people dropped in in front of me assuming I wasn't going to get past the sections. I did. It was awesome. I'm loving this thing. Skating has definitely helped my shortboard game. Hoping to take out my shorter split tail on a better day soon.

Jimmycakes401
nothing better to do

Postby Ben » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:13 pm

Thanks for letting us know. Glad to here the board turns ok. There was little doubt that it would be swift. I'm interested because sooner or later I will abandon shortboards for something more floaty and amorphous.

When does the water temperature start to drop over the pond. It is still relatively warm at the moment ,15 degrees. We have ahad a consistent Autumn here but no exceptional days. How has Autumn oops I mean the Fall been over there?

Ben
I need a LIFE!

Postby Jimmycakes401 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:59 pm

The water is about 15 here right now. Or 60F if you live here. : )

Autumn works for me. I live in New England.

The board is FAST. I would like to try a different set of fins in the long fish. They are stiffer than I'd like. I think pre skating, they'd be perfect, but I have crazy loose trucks now and I think my brain is trying to surf like a skate transition now. May try twin fins with some nubsters as trailer fins. My 5'8" split tail is loose and fun with these same fins, but the tail is much wider and more loose. I like the long fish right now because you almost get that longboard glide feel as you paddle in. Give my aching hips an extra second to pop up. Works in steep and mushy conditions. Outruns sections like a champ.

Look up Josh Hall's long fish. That is a design I was looking at as I was shaping. I have to EPS blocks laying around. I might make a really short mini simmons and a really short twin keel fish when things slow down around here.
Jimmycakes401
nothing better to do

Return to Dirt/Snowboards & Other Boardsports